We support the creation of an articulated vision and a long-term master plan for the Sarasota Bayfront area to establish a cultural and economic legacy for the region while ensuring open, public access to the bayfront.
In 2014, Sarasota Bayfront 20:20 retained the services of HR&A to achieve the following milestones:
- Organization Building: Bayfront 20:20 will become an established, self-sufficient, grassroots advocate for redevelopment along the bayfront. This will include establishing a website and a social media presence.
- Broad-Based Outreach: Through direct outreach to key community groups, cultural organizations and landowners, as well as broader “community conversations,” Bayfront 20:20 will develop an understanding of the goals and concerns of bayfront stakeholders and the community regarding the strategic implementation of the City of Sarasota Cultural Park Plan and wider bayfront redevelopment.
- Articulation of Guiding Principles: Bayfront 20:20 will synthesize the goals and concerns articulated during its outreach process into clear principles to guide redevelopment.
- Preliminary Implementation Roadmap: Bayfront 20:20 will propose and seek support for a potential roadmap for bayfront redevelopment, Cultural Park Plan implementation strategies, and financial planning.
Phase II – Adoption of the Guiding Principles
- In the Fall of 2014 and Winter of 2015, scores of meetings and community forums were held that led to the community-based development of Guiding Principles for the redevelopment of the Bayfront site. In February 2015, the City of Sarasota Commission adopted the Guiding Principles.
Phase III – Partnerships & Master Planning
- In 2016, a framework team laid the plans for a new organization that would oversee the master planning for the Bayfront site.
- In October 2016, a Board was named for the new Sarasota Bayfront Planning Organization (SBPO). At the same time, more than $2 million was raised from local foundations and the community to fund the master planning process. After an extensive public selection process, SBPO selected the firm Sasaki to lead the master planning process in the Fall of 2017. To track the master planning process and to be involved, please go to TheBaySarasota.org.